Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bye Grandpa Bud

The big news is that my step-grandfather passed away on Wednesday. I found out on Thursday evening. He had been sick for quite awhile so I think it was a blessing that his time came, but I'm not sure if he had a relationship with Christ. So I'm praying for his soul. He lived up in Northern California so I'm not sure when we will be going up there for a memorial. It will be just a small family gathering. I will miss him even though we weren't extremely close. He was kind of a grumpy guy a lot of the time but he also had some endearing qualities. I used to spend every other summer with him and my grandma who passed away 5 years ago, and he would get me ice cream in the middle of the night. He could also sing really good and it was fun to hear him belt out a tune. I never heard him sing until a few years ago when he started taking anti-depressants. There was a huge change in him which was nice. He was a dog lover and always had really well behaved dogs. We used to go out together in the evening to walk the dog and always had nice walks. His last dog died a short time ago. I last saw him back in August. I took a trip up to see him with my mom and the kids so I am glad we did that and he got to meet Daniel, and see Elijah.

His daughter called my mom and asked if I could use his car. Its a '98 Buick sedan and it looks good, and has been well maintained but I guess there are a couple things that need to be fixed on it. I will probably take it since my car is having issues. Its a '98 Camry but has over 160,000 miles on it and was stolen at one point and has never been the same. The air conditioning doesn't work well, one door won't open, and the paint is chipping off. So I guess I am receiving a blessing in the death of my grandfather which is kind of a weird feeling.

In other news, Daniel is doing a lot better. He has his 2 bottom teeth now. On Friday I decided he was doing so much better and I wanted to get out of the house so I called my friend Janice and we decided to take the kids to Disneyland for a few hours. We all have annual passes. Disneyland was extremely crowded especially for a weekday and it was HOT! The poor kids only got to go on I think 3 rides. I think it was so crowded because the Disney 2-Fer deal is going right now and it expires at the end of April so everyone was there. Also there seemed to be something special going on with school music groups because we saw a bunch of different schools there. Over at California Adventure the Food and Wine Festival is going so that place was crowded too. We still managed to enjoy ourselves and entertain the kids but by the end of the day the heat was getting to me and I got sick. Its no fun being sick at Disneyland. Food wise I did pretty good that day. We went to Carl's Jr on the way there and I got a grilled chicken salad and for dinner we stopped at McDonald's and I ordered the nugget combo but only ate 2-3 nuggets and maybe three french fries because I was feeling so awful. I had a lot of water and ice tea that day, no soda.

Saturday I was feeling like I was recovering all day. So we didn't do much of anything. I didn't do good on my diet. Doug made pancakes for breakfast so I had 2 small pancakes. For lunch I was still in a breakfast mood and made scrambled eggs with diced potatoes. For dinner I did bad and went to Del Taco cause Doug wanted some of their tacos and I ate 4 tacos, yikes! Today I feel a lot better. My muscles are sore from all the walking and pushing 3 kids on the stroller at Disneyland but thats a good thing. We are going back to Disneyland on Friday with Doug, hopefully it will be a better day. The 2-Fer deal will be over then so it should be less crowded. I'm trying to make the most of our annual passes because we aren't renewing them this year. Doug's expires May 3rd, and Elijah's and mine expire in July but we are blocked out for all of July and half of June. So we only have about a month and half left of being able to go to Disneyland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joanna ~ at least you are aware of what you are eating & I think that's a step, right? Sorry about Grandpa ~ I will be praying for him...