My grandmother Mary has not been doing so well lately. She has been having a lot of health issues over the past 6 months and about 2 or 3 weeks ago ended up in the hospital. From there she was sent to a nursing rehab facility for physical therapy. The goal when she was sent there was to get her strength back up and walking good while her medications were adjusted but its just not working out and the case manager there let our family know about a week ago that she will not be able to go home and live by herself anymore. Furthermore she will need hospice care. That was quite a shock to hear even though we knew she was getting older and having health issues. She is 87 and will be 88 in November. She has congestive heart failure which has been causing a lot of swelling especially in her feet. She has poor blood circulation which makes her more easily confused since there is less oxygen reaching her brain. So grandma will be coming to live with us. She says she is excited about coming to live with us. I have offered many times in the past but she has always turned me down because she liked her independence so I am happy she is being positive about this. We cleared out our office for her. We moved the computer into our bedroom and boxed up our 3 large bookcases of books because there just isn't room for them anywhere. The file cabinet won't fit in our bedroom so its going in the utility room. Our house is small but I am hoping she will be comfortable here during her last chapter of life.
I met with hospice yesterday and the case manager of the nursing facility where she currently is at and learned the plans are for Medicare to cover all her needs for medical equipment. They are supposed to be sending us a hospital bed, a portable potty/shower chair, oxygen, a table that slides over her bed, a wheelchair, and anything else we may need. Hospice will have the doctors and nurses come to our house to see her so we don't have to drive her all over and wait in doctor's offices. When I got to her room she was being taken care of by the nurse. She was receiving help with toileting and dressing and I was able to watch and help. I am going to be the one doing that soon. To be honest that is not an altogether pleasant thought but I know that it is something I can do and will get used to. Hospice will train me to meet all her needs so I guess I will picking up some new skills soon. The lady from hospice was so nice! She told me that it was unusual for someone to do what I am doing. I thought that was really sad. I guess most people go to facilities to live their last days, and die. That's not what I want for myself. I don't want to be with strangers when I am sick and dying. I am hoping that this whole season of life here in our household is a good life lesson for my boys. I want them to value family and see what's really important.
So schooling is going to be a bit more difficult for now. We will just have to work it in, and be more flexible with our schedule. We are also going to have less time away from home to go do stuff. Hospice will send someone here to stay with grandma so we can get out, but I don't know how often and how reliable I can expect them to be. For now I think grandma will be able to get out with us for short excursions she probably can't handle doing a lot though. She is supposed to be coming on Friday. So over the next three days I will be trying to do some fun stuff with the kids. We have a meeting with our ES tomorrow and park day on Thursday. I have a lot to do here around the house but I want to do something fun today as well.
So that's what's up with us. A lot of changes coming. Sad, but also hopeful. Grandma is a believer and I know she will be happy to see our Lord in heaven, see her parents, and her husband again. We don't know how much time she has but we will make her comfortable and hopefully bring some joy to her during this time.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I will be praying for you and your family. My mother-in-law went through this experience with caring for her mom with Parkinson's. I helped on occasion and it was a hard thing to both see and do, but through Christ we can all things. May you be richly blessed for your servant's heart.
What an incredible thing you are doing and it is sad how rare it is! I wish I lived closer to my grandpa to help. I think it is an awesome example to your boys of so many wonderful things; loyalty, love, self sacrifice, and service, just to name a few:)
I will join Julie in praying for all of you as you step into this new chapter of your lives, may you be truly blessed.
Wow, Joanna. What a huge undertaking. I'm sure the Lord will give you the strength to take care of everyone. That is a big change for everyone. I'm glad that you get to be with your grandma during her last days, what a priveledge for you and your family. It is sad that not many elderly people have that kind of support.
You are SUCH a blessing & example to watch. I know God is going to bless you and your family tremendously. I feel privledged to call you friend. Praying for you always.
Post a Comment